Sunday 6 July 2014

Dr. Who Birthday Card

Quite often I'm asked to make a special card for someone that I don't already have for sale on my Etsy site.  Recently someone asked me to make several (I think there were a dozen or so) cards for different occasions.  One of those card requests was for a fan of the Dr. Who series.  I accepted the challenge with a little hesitation because I don't watch the program.  I've never even seen one episode so it makes it a little more difficult to come up with a card.  I had to ask a friend what would best represent the show.  He suggested that I make a Tardis, a telephone box of sorts.  Ok I googled it and then set about making the card.  I tried to draw it out and should've realized what a bomb that would turn out to be because I really suck at drawing.  LOL  Even my stick people are awful.  I started looking through all of my Cricut cartridges to see if there was anything I could use but no luck.  I wondered about my dies and came across these from Memory Box.  Here are the pictures to show what steps I used to create the Tardis.  Let me know what you think. 

I cut out 2 of the windows and connected them in the middle.  I tried using the door die that I have but the boxes in the middle of the door just weren't right.  With the window die, the openings were all the same size. 


I backed it on black cardstock to make the blue 'pop.'
I used the pop outs from the windows to make the panes for the box.  I pop dotted them so they would be raised panels. 




I also thought of cutting out 2 of the flower boxes and adding them to the top and bottom for a little extra added detail but that made the whole unit 2 big for my card.  But if you want to try making this for yourself, you might try adding the boxes.  Overall I'm happy with the card, even though I thought it looked a little too handmade but good for a first attempt nonetheless.  Enjoy!  If you decide to make one yourself, I'd love to see what you come up with. 
 

3 comments:

Gail said...

I don't know the first thing about Dr. Who either, but the card is pretty awesome!
Good job!
Don't you like having to think outside the box once in a while!!??

Marilyn said...

Awesome!! I have two granddaughters that would love that card

Dr Sonia S V said...

Marianne your write up about your drawing skills made me smile and love how you used the window die to make such an awesome telephone booth...very creative. And Thank you so much for following my blog. I am honored such a creative lady is following me
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts School Projects